REFERENCES: Papers Regarding Past Oceans and Seas on Mars
Check your nearest university library for these:
- "Sedimentary deposits in the northern lowland plains, Mars," by
B.K. Lucchitta, H.M. Ferguson, and C. Summers, Journal of
Geophysical Research, supplement, v. 91, p. E166-E174, 1986.
- "Transitional morphology in west Deuteronilus Mensae, Mars: Implications
for modification of the lowland/upland boundary," by T.J. Parker,
R.S. Saunders, and D.M. Schneeberger, Icarus, v. 82,
p. 111-145, 1989.
- "Ancient oceans, ice sheets, and the hydrological cycle on Mars," by
V.R. Baker, R.G. Strom, V.C. Gulick, J.S. Kargel, G. Komatsu, and
V.S. Kale, Nature, v. 352, p. 589-594, 1991.
- "Mars Elysium Basin: Geologic/volumetric analyses of a young
lake and exobiologic implications," by D.H. Scott and
M.G. Chapman, Proceedings of Lunar and Planetary Science,
v. 21, p. 669-677, 1991.
- "New evidence of lacustrine basins on Mars: Amazonis and Utopia
Planitae," by D.H. Scott, M.G. Chapman, J.W. Rice, Jr., and J. M.
Dohm, Proceedings of Lunar and Planetary Science, v. 22,
p. 53-62, 1992.
- "Coastal geomorphology of the martian northern plains," by T.J. Parker,
D.S. Gorsline, R.S. Saunders, D.C. Pieri, and D.M. Schneeberger,
Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 98, p. 11061-11078, 1993.
- "Map of Mars showing channels and possible paleolake basins," by
D.H. Scott, J.M. Dohm, and J.W. Rice, Jr., scale 1:30,000,000,
U.S. Geological Survey Miscellaneous Investigations Series,
Map I-2561, 1995.
- "Water on early Mars: Possible subaqueous sedimentary deposits covering
ancient cratered terrain in western Arabia and Sinus Meridiani,"
by K.S. Edgett and T.J. Parker, Geophysical Research Letters,
v. 24, p. 2897-2900, 1997.
- "Oceans in the past history of Mars: Tests for their presence using
Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter (MOLA) data," by J.W. Head III,
M. Kreslavsky, H. Hiesinger, M. Ivanov, D.E. Smith, and M.T. Zuber,
Geophysical Research Letters, v. 24, p. 4401-4404, 1998.
- "Oceans or seas in the martian northern lowlands: High resolution
imaging tests of proposed coastlines," by M.C. Malin and K.S. Edgett,
Geophysical Research Letters, v. 26, p. 3049-3052, 1999.
To MSSS Home Page